Thursday, August 31, 2006

Anne anne writes to Joanne



Dear Joanne,

I hope this pastel painting and the words are clear. I would like to dedicate it to your family, in memory of your grandma, my kor kor.

I am sorry that I was not there for the funeral but am glad to have joined you all for prayers that night.

Thank you, Julian for sharing the beautiful eulogy that you wrote. It was very touching and I am sure kor kor was smiling when you spoke that day.

I remember Kor Kor as someone who was there for us when we needed her to take care of us after my mother passed away. I was only a child of about eight years old when my siblings and I went to live in Tembling Road and then Lorong Stangee, and became part of the extended family that included your father, Dakti, and Koo koo Lawrence.

I remember your grandma as this small, wiry, strong person, always in a samfoo, very humble and simple and with a kind heart. I remember the huge kettle of black sweetened coffee in the kitchen that everybody drank each day, and which must have been made by your Ah Ma. She was always smoking cigarettes (as you well know) but it didn't seem to have affected her lungs much. She was probably very fit from all the hard work she did in the kitchen and from eating simply. The word fat does not have half a chance to appear anywhere near her lean body.

I remember going to watch Cantonese tear-jerking movies at cinemas like Holiwood, with Kor Kor and my Mama. One was big and fat and the other tiny enough for both of them to squeeze into a trishaw seat while the little girl (me) had to squat at their feet. Pity the trishaw rider who had to transport his three passengers of odd shapes and sizes for a few cents! That was how I learnt some Cantonese, from watching late movies which sometimes were in two parts, with part two shown at midnight, and often crying my heart out at the melodramatic stories! Come to think of it, that is probably how I ended up staying up late at night, even up to this day! No wonder I have become an owl and was often late for school!

I can't remember much of my childhood (the sad parts especially after my father remarried and gave us a wicked stepmother!) but for some reason, the image of Kor Kor remains indelibly stamped in my mind and my heart. Perhaps it is because she never changed much, even in her old age. She remained humble,simple and beautiful at heart. I am so glad that I was able to see her in recent years.

Kor kor, I will never forget your kindness to me and my siblings. I know you are happily reunited with my mother and Mama in heaven and that is a comforting thought.

Kamsiah, Kor kor. You were a blessing to all of us.

To Lawrence, David, Monica, Joanne and Julian, here is a little prayer from St Thomas More, that we can say for each other and for our dear Kor Kor, Ah Ma: Pray for me, as I will for thee that we may merrily meet in heaven.

God bless you all. Thank you for always welcoming me into your family. I will come again!

with love,
anne anne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home